Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Theres life in the ol' girl (N900) yet....

Hi All,

Its been a while since I posted, I'm afraid I was drawn to the dark side and purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2.its a fantastic phone but thats not the point of this thread.

I recently rewired my home network and decided I wanted to get a VPN appliance, but they are amazingly expensive...so I thought about a sheeva plug pc running linux with SSH tunelling...but even though they are small pcs, they are still pretty bulky and expensive.

and then I spied out of the corner of my eye, my N900, gathering dust in my office drawer.

After a good long charge the device booted up, I had already installed ssh so it was ready to go!

I removed all non required apps and settings, IE email accounts and facebook etc.

I then disabled powersaving on the wifi (as that tends to limit incoming connections)

and now it sits there providing me a loverly SSH vpn system, with a full pyhon interpreter (which I have written an automatic easynew downloading tool)

it has lynx on there for an emergency bit of text based browsing.

I also installed X11VNC so I can remote in and control the phone should I need to.

it also acts as a 32GB online storage device, and using truecrypt gives me full encryption of that storage should the device get stolen!

I have a cheap timer plug which switches charging off for a few hours every day to allow the battery to drain.

I'd love to hear others ideas of what I could add?

Thanks

No comments: